Imani Speaks in conversation with Sariyah Idan
Combining poetry, dance, and character monologue, Sariyah Idan conveys a young Jewish-American woman’s struggle to understand her identity, her family, justice and the meaning of home through the lens of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Idan’s portrayal of seventeen vibrant and diverse Americans, Palestinians, and Israelis uncovers the new Middle East of grief, daily struggle, and humour. Homeless In Homeland is a solo show in a documentary hip-hop theatre aesthetic, based on a trip taken by the writer-performer to the State of Israel and occupied Palestine. “a dramatic tour-de-force…not to be missed (Hollywood Progressive).” The play briefly touches on her studies of Islam and how she was born on a Sufi commune in New York.
Sariyah has an amazing body of work that encompasses several genres of music including reggae, soul, jazz, hip-hop including her Jewish ancestry.
Her understanding of world culture began at age twelve as a touring dancer and singer with world music and dance ensemble The Vanaver Caravan.
Sariyah has shared the stage with Pete Seeger, Lee “Scratch” Perry and Yusef Lateef as well as recordings with Marcia Griffiths and Caron Wheeler on Dubblstandat’s album Woman In Dub.
The lyrical content of Ms Sariyah Idan’s music is inspired by personal experiences and social awareness. Her music is powerfully empathetic to the issues of the day.
Sariyah is also an inspiration to the young people that she mentors sharing her wisdom in poetry, acting, music and dance.
Sariyah Idan‘s Body of Work
In the interview, we look at an assortment of Sariyah’s music
Enjoy this thought-provoking, warm, conversation, with Sariyah Idan. She candidly breaks down the conception of each song. She allows the listener to be privy to the embryonic ideas and back story that allows you to understand more fully the ideas behind the beautiful voice and music.
You will come away feeling more expanded mentally, emotionally and spiritually moving you to take action to make a change in your own unique way.
- WHY YOU DO (Deeper Than Skin EP 2014)
- READY (Deeper Than Skin EP 2014)
- WHO I am (Not Afraid Mixtape 2015)
- NOT AFRAID (Not Afraid Mixtape 2015)
- WHERE WILL I GO (feature on Haj’s EP 2016)
- I’M A WARRIOR (feature on WOMAN IN DUB by Dubblestandart 2013)
- SHE SPEAKS (Homeless In Homeland Spoken Word Album 2012)
- FEEL LIKE IT (Deeper Than Skin EP 2014)
- Check outSariyah’s website for more details about her music, mentoring and tour dates. On the show Sariyah discussed her solo show Homeless In Homeland. She will be back in the UK April 7th and 9th at Theatre In The Mill performing in Bradford England.
- You will also find Sariyah on Facebook, Youtube and Instagram.